Home                   Catalog                   World War 2                   World War 1                  Links


Patton's Troubleshooters Book                        Patton's Troubleshooters DVD



Members Of The 80th Infantry Division

Awarded The

Congressional Medal Of Honor 






Rank and organization: First Lieutenant, U.S. Army, Company E, 319th Infantry, 80th Infantry Division.  Place and date: Near Pompey, France, 14 September 1944.  Entered service at: Blytheville, Ark. Birth: Blytheville, Ark. G.O. No.: 25, 7 April 1945.  Citation:


For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty.  On 14 September 1944, Company E, 319th Infantry, with which 1st Lt. Lloyd was serving as a rifle platoon leader, was assigned the mission of expelling an estimated enemy force of 200 men from a heavily fortified position near Pompey, France.  As the attack progressed, 1st Lt. Lloyd's platoon advanced to within 50 yards of the enemy position where they were caught in a withering machinegun and rifle crossfire, which inflicted heavy casualties and momentarily disorganized the platoon.


With complete disregard for his own safety, 1st Lt. Lloyd leaped to his feet and led his men on a run into the raking fire, shouting encouragement to them.  He jumped into the first enemy machinegun position, knocked out the gunner with his fist, dropped a grenade, and jumped out before it exploded.  Still shouting encouragement he went from one machinegun nest to another, pinning the enemy down with submachine gun fire until he was within throwing distance, and then destroyed them with hand grenades.  He personally destroyed five machineguns and many of the enemy, and by his daring leadership and conspicuous bravery inspired his men to overrun the enemy positions and accomplish the objective in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds.  His audacious determination and courageous devotion to duty exemplify the highest traditions of the military forces of the United States.






Rank and organization: Second Lieutenant, U.S. Army, Company L, 318th Infantry, 80th Infantry Division.  Place and date: Near Neiderzerf, Germany, 14 March 1945.  Entered service at: Milford, Indiana. Birth: Milford, Indiana. G.O. No.: 18, 13 February 1946.  Citation:


He was serving as a rifle platoon leader when his company began an assault on a wooded ridge northeast of the village of Neiderzerf, Germany, early on 13 March 1945.  A short distance up the side of the hill, 2nd Lt. Michael, at the head of his platoon, heard the click of an enemy machinegun bolt.  Quietly halting the company, he silently moved off into the woods and discovered two enemy machineguns and crews.  Executing a sudden charge, he completely surprised the enemy and captured the guns and crews.  At daybreak, enemy voices were heard in the thick woods ahead.  Leading his platoon in a flanking movement, they charged the enemy with hand grenades and, after a bitter fight, captured twenty-five members of an SS mountain division, three artillery pieces, and twenty horses.  While his company was establishing its position, 2nd Lt. Michael made two personal reconnaissance missions of the wood on his left flank.


On his first mission he killed two, wounded four, and captured six enemy soldiers single-handedly.  On the second mission he captured seven prisoners.  During the afternoon he led his platoon on a frontal assault of a line of enemy pillboxes, successfully capturing the objective, killing ten and capturing thirty prisoners.  The following morning the company was subjected to sniper fire and 2nd Lt. Michael, in an attempt to find the hidden sniper, was shot and killed.  The inspiring leadership and heroic aggressiveness displayed by 2nd Lt. Michael upheld the highest traditions of the military service.






Rank and organization: Sergeant, U.S. Army, Company B, 319th Infantry, 80th Infantry Division.  Place and date: At Dahl, Luxembourg, 8 January 1945.  Entered service at Nescopeck, Pa. Birth: Berwick, Pa. G.O. No.: 49, 28 June 1945.  Citation:


He commanded a nine-man squad with the mission of holding a critical flank position.  When overwhelming numbers of the enemy attacked under cover of withering artillery, mortar, and rocket fire, he withdrew his squad into a nearby house, determined to defend it to the last man.  The enemy attacked again and again and were repulsed with heavy losses.  Supported by direct tank fire, they finally gained entrance, but the intrepid sergeant refused to surrender although five of his men were wounded and one was killed. 


He boldly flung a can of flaming oil at the first wave of attackers, dispersing them, and fought doggedly from room to room, closing with the enemy in fierce hand-to-hand encounters.  He hurled hand grenade for hand grenade, bayoneted two fanatical Germans who rushed a doorway he was defending and fought on with the enemy's weapons when his own ammunition was expended.  The savage fight raged for four hours, and finally, when only three men of the defending squad were left unwounded, the enemy surrendered.  Twenty-five prisoners were taken, eleven enemy dead and a great number of wounded were counted.  Sgt. Turner's valiant stand will live on as a constant inspiration to his comrades.  His heroic, inspiring leadership, his determination and courageous devotion to duty exemplify the highest tradition of the military service.






Rank and organization: Staff Sergeant (then Private), U.S. Army, Company G, 318th Infantry, 80th Infantry Division.  Place and date: Near, Chaumont, Belgium, 25 December 1944.  Entered service at: Baltimore, Md. Birth: Baltimore, Md. G.O. No.: 45, 12 June 1945.  Citation:


He alone made it possible for his company to advance until its objective was seized.  Company G had cleared a wooded area of snipers, and one platoon was advancing across an open clearing toward another wood when it was met by heavy machinegun fire from two German positions dug in at the edge of the second wood. These positions were flanked by enemy riflemen.  The platoon took cover behind a small ridge approximately 40 yards from the enemy position.  There was no other available protection and the entire platoon was pinned down by the German fire.  It was about noon and the day was clear, but the terrain extremely difficult due to a three-inch snowfall the night before over ice-covered ground.


Pvt. Wiedorfer, realizing that the platoon advance could not continue until the two enemy machinegun nests were destroyed, voluntarily charged alone across the slippery open ground with no protecting cover of any kind.  Running in a crouched position, under a hail of enemy fire, he slipped and fell in the snow, but quickly rose and continued forward with the enemy concentrating automatic and small-arms fire on him as he advanced.  Miraculously escaping injury, Pvt. Wiedorfer reached a point some 10 yards from the first machinegun emplacement and hurled a hand grenade into it.  With his rifle he killed the remaining Germans, and, without hesitation, wheeled to the right and attacked the second emplacement.  One of the enemy was wounded by his fire and the other six immediately surrendered.  This heroic action by one man enabled the platoon to advance from behind its protecting ridge and continue successfully to reach its objective.  A few minutes later, when both the platoon leader and the platoon sergeant were wounded, Pvt. Wiedorfer assumed command of the platoon, leading it forward with inspired energy until the mission was accomplished.




Return To 80th Division Article Index


Return To The World War Two Index


Return To Main Page 



By visiting this site, you agree to the terms and conditions

of our Visitor Agreement. Please read. Privacy Policy

2017 Opinicus Publishing Company-All Rights Reserved